Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I woke up this morning wanting to exercise. But my knee is now a bum one. After so much mountain scrambling over the last couple of days, my body (all except that left knee) was ready for at least a measly run or bike ride. (I say measly because a run or ride would be pitiful compared to the exercise I got this last weekend).

My true and sometimes lazy self decided it best to let the bum turn to a knee again. So I sat myself down on the blue couch closest to the windows after making a cup of hot chocolate and read all about the developmental challanges of teen. Which was thrilling. ?

Let me tell you all about my bum knees weekend.

If you didn't know I went hunting. Thursday morning I woke up early and D drove me out to my parents house to load everything up. We got a later start than planned because that morning was the start of an adventure, and those always need a hot mocha with whipped cream from Beans and Brews.

My dad, his four friends (one who also had a tag) and I drove to Mt. Dunton through Antimony which has the famous Antimony Mercantile, which make the famous Antimony Burgers, famous Antimony Omletes, famous homemade pies, and famous cinnamon rolls.

Funny, I've never heard of them.

We found a great campsite up the canyon and pitched our tents and fed the mules. Adventureous Day One Complete- check!

*phew*
Adventure Lesson #1 Learned- Hunting is work, not a Vacation!

Days two and three were filled with hiking! Up and down, up and down mountains!!! No slight jaunt through the woods, serious hunting! Which would explain the bum knee.

I hit a decent sized 6 by 6 on the first day but never found him again. :( We literally hiked both sides of that mountian trying to find him. Thank goodness I had some help, Thanks Dad!

I shot at a HUGE (Huge as in, hugest my dad has ever seen, huge) elk but I missed the shot.
I don't feel to bad since it was over 600 yards away. They told me thats a hard shot for anyone.
(They told me alot of stuff to make me feel better, and I love them for that!)

Adventure Lesson #2 Learned- Practice, practice, practice, only practice makes perfect.

Going along with #2:
Adventure Lesson #3 Learned- Plan ahead, way ahead of time!

Did I mention this was my first hunt of my whole life... ever! My dad didn't know either. After a frustrating day of not being able to find anything in my scope much less hit it, once I found it with less than 10 bullets, he's like, "O...?... that makes more sense!" Yes, I thought that
makes more sense.

In the end I didn't come home with anything. Which is disappointing but I really don't care. My Dad and I had a fabulous time, time that I've never gotten to spend with him. I am really glad that I got the oppurtunity to learn so much from him and just hang out with him.

Adventure Lesson #4 Learned- Quality, not Quantity.

And hey, I only have to wait 5 years to start putting in for that hunt again, and after that it'll only be a max of 15 years till I get it again. I can still get a HUGE elk! (After some more scope and long distance shooting practic!)

Adventure Lesson #5 Learned- Your body wont be nice to you if you aren't nice to it.

So regular exercise here I come.

I think this exercise plan is the 3rd plan I've made from this Adventure. I'll keep you posted on that one!

No comments: