Monday, March 14, 2011

European Canyons


We finally used our free Canyons passes from Warren Miller back in like November! D even busted out the teles ... and I was pretty impressed. Really, D's got it figured out.

For most of the morning we worked our way over to the new part of the mountain. Most of the way was, frustratingly, on cat-tracks through houses. When we finally got over there, maybe 4 lifts later (not including the bucket from the parking lot and the gondola to get out of the rain), we were getting sick of being crowded into narrow places.


On Sunday I was so excited to go spring skiing and sit in the sun with a drink at their exotic new "European Ski Beach." But it ended up raining most of the time so no one really sat outside anywhere low on the mountain. We wore rain gear (which is why I match so nicely ... there you just thought I was a fashionista) and still got pretty wet.

The snow was nice and slushy, but kinda slow. It was kinda interesting, and very entertaining, because it was easy for one ski to just take off in someone elses track in the opposite direction as the other ski. I tell you, I've perfected the pirouette save.

I haven't been to The Canyons in at least 6 years. They've had a ton of  new improvements with the new european owners (I really don't know if they are european for sure or not, but we joked about it all day). The new Orange Bubble Lift was actually really nice (do you think they could've been a bit more creative, rather than naming the orange bubble lift THE ORANGE BUBBLE LIFT ... lame). It had heated seats and an awesome transparent orange cover to keep the heat in, and the weather off. The only problem was it really wasn't very cold, just wet, but I still appreciated the break.

The Ski Beach was disappointing, but it was raining so who really wants to sit out in the rain. They had a life guard stand out (just in case someone needed saving I guess) and a whole one row of beach chairs.

The new terrain had bigger runs, and most of the black diamonds. We didn't ski the black diamonds, blues are just about perfect for us right now - not that I really want to admit that.


We did lunges and squats for a few hours until we I called it quits.

On the way through Kimball Junction we ate at Red Rock for lunch! Yum, there bruschetta is delicious. Of course, we got some and brought some home. I always JUST ABOUT get the french onion soup and, believe me, I should get it more. Instead, today I got sweet potato cannelloni. D got (just guess) the rueben. We were both pretty satisfied and stuffed driving down Parleys.

Good Day!

No comments: