Friday, April 16, 2010

O bike, how I love thee...sometimes!

Photobucket


O my I so love my bike! And she loves me back! Do you know how awesome this feels?

It is so nice to realize that I really like to exercise!! I wake up the day after a ride and my body wants to go again! So I go, and feel even better the next day! It's awesome!

The other day I went with my sister on a ride. We passed through a school zone, right when school was let out. Let me just tell you now, never, never, never do that on a bike!!! There was kids running everywhere, moms driving HUGE SUV's trying to pull out onto us, crossing guards, doors opening into us, flashing lights... ah, so traumatic!

A group of kids decided to cross the road where there was no cross walk (where is the Cop when all this is going down? Jay-walking is SO illegal). Since there were cars turning left, and cars parked to the right, and then us trying to get through without someone opening a door and close-lining us (which may have been hillarious) I didn't see these kids crossing the road! Did I mention they weren't in a cross-walk, or anywhere near one?? Not cool chillins! (PS- its not like we were going fast at all... why do you think I can go 20 miles? I do it at 10 mph!)

Well Meggie Moo was leading and she saw them in plenty of time, but I didn't. I slammed on both brakes and literally skidded to a near stop inches from Meg's back tire! My back tire skidded off to the right, my feet wouldn't come un-clipped, I knew I was going down. I knew I was going down, as in flat to my side with my bike still attached, road burn, broken glasses, bruised ego down!

And then it happened! It all came flashing before my mind's eye! The horrific ride with my Mom, when I first got my bike! The ride that haunts me to this day even though it lasted a whole ten minutes!

We had decided to go on a short, jaunt like ride, just to get out, have fun, and move. We also just happened to go past Beans, so of course, when your in that vacinity of a Beans, you stop! So we stopped, in our full spandex, bragging about the 100 miler we were training for! (I am so my fathers daughter! -Except the fact that he actually does the 100  milers, and man does he do it well!) We attached our drinks to our matching bikes and took off for our ride, looking very cute.

We should've known right then and there that this was a recipe for disaster: iced coffee on a bike ride, in spandex? Not a good idea!

We stopped at a busy corner to decide where to go. It wasn't just a busy corner, it was 13400 S. and almost Bangerter, so like, the only road that EVERYONE in Herriman had to drive to get anywhere, so it's always packed!

On my way to stopping, I couldn't get my foot out, either foot for that matter. So what happened? I tipped straight over to my side! Luckily not into the road (that was the only lucky part)!! Not just plain old tip over! Let me specify the type of tip I managed to pull off in front of the entire Herriman population... Into the sprinklers, iced coffee all over me, still unable to get either foot out to be able to stand back up (I would call it flailing), scrape my knee, kill all hopes of dignity kind of tip.

Needless to say we turned right around that second and I did not go on my fun, jaunt like ride!!

Luckily this last ride with my Meggie did not end up with me falling, or flailing for that matter! That would've been worse, with all those little kids giggling their hearts out at me! Me crying after and "yelling grown-ups have feeling too, you know!!"

I haven't fallen since (knock on wood), and it's my worst fear! So please send a small wish sky-ward for me to never have that scaring of an event ever happen in my life again! It would be much appreciated!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Cac, you are so funny! I love you! This made me laugh and makes up A LITTLE for your April Fools joke.

Paula said...

Hilarious! I would have loved to see this! Sounds like something that would happen to me...