Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rock Hounding

On Saturday D and I went rock hunting, (Rock hounding is offical). We went clear out in the middle of nowhere, somewhere south of the salt flats and just west of Nevada. Gram, Jeff, Jerris, Meg, Josh, Kailee, Donald and I were all that went. We got up at like five thirty to get a good head start! The best part of the day was seeing Donald digging away like a true geologist! (P.S. It was HOT, So the attire is acceptable)

We spent most of the morning digging small holes in mounds moved by big excavators, and finding fairly good sized geodes. In the afternoon the guys had figured out that the big nice geodes were in the ground that hadn't been dug up already. So they dug for awhile while us girls sat on the rock climbing pad we brought, drinking water and breaking the geodes in half (which ended up more like smashing them and the funnest part of hunting for geodes). After awhile we felt bad and gave it a turn. We didn't last to long and didn't really put a dent in the work. But they dug almost all afternoon in the sun! At the end of the day Josh and D's lower backs were FRIED! And Jerris was already sunburned in the first place so I'm sure he felt good also! :) Some people that were getting crazy awesome geodes out of their hole close to ours kept telling us that they were "just below that white clay layer... o maybe the next clay layer... you should be there... maybe you just missed them". Finally one of them came over and dug for a bit looking at it all and shaking her head and saying that "it was the matrix... There right in the matrix but no geodes"... she was crazy. By then Donald was the only one left digging and he called it quits so we packed up and left!
Poor Jerris and Meg ate our dust the whole way there and back! We went on the Old Pony Express road and saw where Josh and Clay got lost on their motocycles when we went hunting topaz! :) Then had to laugh about the kids four-wheeler train the got ran over by our kaboose! (If you don't know the story, I wont tell for the sake of the kaboose involved!).. is that even how you spell kaboose?? The Dig site!

Jeff knew right where to look!

Meg found a cool spot! :)


Meg and Kailee smashing rocks, uh-hem, I mean carefully cracking open the precious geodes!

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I'm sad we didn't get to go, but it looks like you had a great time! And... I'm thinking that it looks like D is holding a 'bow-staff' in that first picture (HA! HA!) I'm totally showing that one to Troy. Plus who the heck is that blonde with Meg in the last picture? HEELLLLOO Kailee!

mom/gram said...

Dear Caci and Donald, I hope you get to cut all those promising rocks you found. Thanks for letting me share a very fun day with you. Much love, Gram

Paula said...

The kaboose says you better quit bringin' up that story or you'll lose life and limbs. Besides it's your guys' fault for putting me on a four-wheeler I had no idea how to drive! T.T (The T.T thing means a crying face for you 'norms'.)

The few, the proud, the otakus.
"Nii-San"