Wednesday, November 25, 2009

O-SO Thankful!

I've never been the biggest fan of Thanksgiving. Its all fatness and kitchen slaving. This year I thought I'd give it a go, and really get in the Thanksgiving spirit.

So I tried to bake some lousy old pies.
I found a delish sounding recipe for...

Dulce De Leche Pumpkin Pie.

Doesn't that sound just fantastic?

I made three. One for the Ross family, one for the Jensen family, and one for Gram. The endeavour started out just fine, they were so easy to put together. Little of this, little of that, and wholah, quick as a jiffy.

Then I put them in the oven.


Really the only difference between my Dolce de Leche Pies and regular ol Pumpkin pies is sweetened condensed milk. You put 3/4 of a can in the crust before the rest of the filling. The big problem was the recipe didn't say what size can!

Once the pies started getting hot the sweetened condensed milk started boiling right OUT of the pie, onto the heat coils!

After awhile, whatever had been dripping out was chared black and the stove was filling up with smoke. But I kept it cooking, Who knew if one would turn out.


Since this whole mess was to feel thanksgiving cheer, I've made up a list of everything I've been thankful for today.

Solely for your entertainment. Of course

I'm thankful for family. You all mean so much to me! They are my best friends, who I love to hang out with, and the people I love most. And they will love me even when I don't give them a pie for Thanksgiving.
I'm thankful for my D. He can laugh with me, while laughing at me, and make me feel so much better. I love him so much, and am so grateful to have him around, especially to feed me.
I'm thankful for Grandma. She is always looking out for us and trying to help. She was nice enough to not call the fire department when smoke is billowing up the stairs.
I'm thankful for my vaccuum. I love that wonderful machine.Today I vaccuumed the whole house, and now there are perfect vaccuum lines on all the carpet. Even better is using the brush attachment to clean the baseboards! Magic, I tell you, Magic!
I'm thankful for our furnace, when its alive and kicking. It's gone out. Although the cold really isn't an issue down here, being able to open the windows is. Since it would be completely crazy to open the windows and let in the cold air when there is no furnace to re-heat the air, were leaving the windows closed. Even though we should probably open a window. I can see at least 5 inches of smoke on our ceiling. Do you remember the pies? They did it, not me! I followed the recipe perfectly and did EVERYTHING it told me to do. Either way I'm banned from coooking until the furnace is fixed and we can open a window when there is more carbon dioxide in the basement than oxygen.
I'm thankful for school. Ya, ya, crazy, but I really love to learn. Even if it does kill me, and I complain about it more than anything.
I'm thankful for books, and movies, and entertainment. Life would be boring with out it.
I'm thankful for the outside. I'm glad I can hug a tree (Even if it is to make my family cringe), climb a rock and see wild animals.
I'm thankful for cousins and neices and nephews, who have taught me to love children.
I'm thankful for my car. It probably saves my life more than I even realize. (It's that good of a car).
I'm thankful for warm blankets and snugglie clothes, when it's snowing outside.
I'm thankful for food. Right now I am very fond of the Christmas Orange Julius! D invented it. Think wassel meets blender! Ya, that good!
I'm thankful one pie turned out. I said I'd bring one, and by george, I'm gonna bring one! Even if its slightly deformed and I had to clean it up quite a bit.

1 comment:

Mary Ellen Ross said...

Caci, you are a saint to be so positive and think of what you are thankful for at a time like that. I would have just been ticked! I am thankful for YOU! You are awesome. So was the pie yummy enough that it was worth the smokin' effort? :o)